What’s Orthostatic Hypotension?
Orthostatic hypotension (OH) is a sort of low blood stress that occurs once you get up from a sitting or mendacity down place. When this low blood stress persists for greater than 20 to 30 seconds, you’re stated to have orthostatic hypotension.
What are the Signs of OH?
Frequent signs of OH embrace:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Blurred imaginative and prescient
- Fainting or almost fainting
How is Orthostatic Hypotension Recognized?
Orthostatic hypotension is often recognized utilizing a easy take a look at known as the orthostatic hypotension take a look at. Throughout this take a look at, your blood stress and pulse fee is taken once you’re mendacity down after which once more once you get up. In case your blood stress drops considerably, this means you will have OH.
Along with the orthostatic hypotension take a look at, your physician may additionally order extra blood exams and imaging research to search for underlying causes.
Remedies for Orthostatic Hypotension
Remedy for OH will depend on the underlying trigger. Remedy might contain life-style modifications, drugs, or different remedies.
- Making life-style modifications. Your physician might advocate easy life-style modifications to assist scale back or stop signs, corresponding to ingesting loads of fluids, getting sufficient sleep, sporting compression stockings, and avoiding extreme warmth or scorching baths.
- Medicines. Medicines will help enhance your blood stress and enhance signs. Frequent drugs embrace midodrine, fludrocortisone, and ephedrine.
- Different remedies. In some instances, your physician might advocate different remedies, corresponding to electrical stimulation and compression stockings.
In the event you’re experiencing signs of orthostatic hypotension, it’s essential to talk to your physician. With the appropriate prognosis and therapy, you may handle your signs and lead a wholesome life.